Thursday, February 28, 2013

Words for the Indescribable

As a writer, I've never been good at writing scene (describing the setting).  I find it difficult to build not only the objects in the room but also the mood simultaneously.  Its a difficult task, and those who do it well, I envy you.  However, I do find that building a room is easier than describing nature scenery.

Growing up, my family toured a lot of the National Parks.  I was blessed to spend my summers in redwood forests, under towering sequoia trees, and by babbling brooks.  More recently, my husband and I have visited Hawaii together a few times, and the beauty of the rain forest and volcanoes continues to to amaze me.


We saw this on a trip to Maui.  It was misting at the time, so the mist in the air obscured the scene when we tried to capture it on film.  Even if the cloud wasn't fogging up the picture, the photo wouldn't do it justice.  I felt like I was standing on the edge of heaven looking into this vast valley of rain forest canopy, lush waterfalls, and wild birds.

How do we find words for the indescribable?  How do we find words for things that you just have to experience?

I don't know.  Maybe it's impossible.



Soli Deo Gloria. 

1 comment:

  1. Ngugi had an answer for this, even though he wasn't answering this question. He said that when we tell stories we often exaggerate because there is a loss of emotion each time we tell the story. Each removal from the event loses impact. So we exaggerate and use metaphor to bring the feeling we felt when we first experienced it.

    ReplyDelete