Thursday, March 21, 2013

Learning from Lent (Part 2)

A few days ago, I started telling of my journey through Lent.  Check it out here!  It was the first time I've given up anything for Lent, and I chose coffee.

So, Lent is not quite over yet, but you're probably wondering with my overly dramatic intro in part 1 how I've been doing without caffeine.

I started off Ash Wednesday in Hawaii, the capitol of the decedent Kona coffee.  We arrived at the resort and for breakfast, the server offered us coffee.  We smiled and said, "Tea please."  The server seemed startled that we wouldn't want coffee. 

We returned from Hawaii and got back into the swing of things at work.  I missed walking in and making my trip to the Keurig maker for my cup of hazelnut or vanilla coffee.  The first few weeks continued similarly; I was always thinking about coffee.


It was depressing to admit.  This was something of an addiction.  Even if my body wasn't addicted, my mind was.  Had I really come to depend on this liquid for emotional stability? 

What I had anticipated to be easy was; I didn't get the shakes or feel any intense temptations.  However, I was face to face with a subtle unnecessary dependency.

Then, I asked myself, "What else am I subtly dependent on in my life?"  The answers came flooding in: Facebook, my iPhone, audio books, cleanliness.  Though not bad in and of themselves, I realized that my day-to-day stability depended on these things.  Not on something bigger or something greater.  Yes, I depend on my husband, my family, my friends, but where was God in all this?

The question has forced me to look at my life just a little differently, in a way that I had not expected. 

And yes, my husband and I are looking forward to our Starbucks run on Easter.  But maybe just not as much afterwards. 


Soli Deo Gloria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment