Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Why I Go to the Movies

Dear friend,

If I ever go to the movies with you, I'm going because I want to spend time with you.

Granted, going to the movies is arguably one of THE worst ways to spend time with someone.  You are sitting in a dark room with a whole bunch of other strangers, eating high calorie foods, and staring at a screen together.  There is little interaction.  In fact, most wise people warn against the whole classic dinner and a movie date as a way to get to know anyone.



So, you ask, why do I go to the movies to spend time with you?  Well, the fact of the matter is movies are fun and going with someone you know is fun.  I'd love to go to a movie with you.  On top of that, I'd love to talk to you about the movie afterwards (the analysis is my favorite part).

Do you know what is not fun?  Going to a movie to see the movie.  Not to see the friend.  Because some people just want to see the latest blockbuster and need someone to go see the movie WITH (because seeing a movie alone is weird) so they drag someone along.  See the difference?  The point is the movie, not the friend.

So, when you ask me if you want to go see a movie, I will probably say yes because I will want to spend time with you.  Please remember that.  I'm not going to see the movie; the good film is just an added bonus.  In fact, I will probably recommend getting dinner or coffee afterwards.

Thanks for listening.

Love,
Cheryl




Soli Deo Gloria


Related posts:
The Gift of Giving
Making Time for Fun
Never Ever Ever Ever Enough Time
To Party or Not To Party
An Ode to Friendship

No comments:

Post a Comment